About Tax Return


There are many people who have heard the word “tax return”, but do you know what kind of things you should declare or at what times? If the company you are working for is doing year-end adjustments, in most cases, there is no need to file a tax return. However, when you have a side job and income of more than 200,000 yen a year or when you are receiving salaries from 2 or more places, there may be a need to file a tax return.

In addition, it may be possible to receive a refund (medical expenses deduction) by filing a tax return, such as when medical expenses exceed to 100,000 yen a year.

In this video, we will introduce the importance of the tax return and especially the points that foreigners should be careful about.

What is tax return?

The tax return is a procedure for calculating the income tax (income tax and reconstruction special income tax) and determining how much taxes you should pay. Not all taxes are automatically withdrawn. In some cases, there may be a difference between the amount of tax already paid, such as withholding taxes, and the tax amount to be paid.

So, the tax return form together with required documents such as various certificates, and collected income and expenses incurred in the year from January 1 to December 31 must be declared from February 16 to March 15 (will change to Monday in the case the date falls on Saturdays and Sundays).  In doing so, the amount of tax to be paid has been finalized, and if you paid too much, the tax will be refunded and returned to you.

Main cases where a tax return is required

  1. If the company you’re working for have not done the year-end adjustments for taxes.
  2. If the income exceeds the limit
  3. If the person receives employment income from overseas employer, which is not covered by withholding tax, etc.
  4. If the secondary income such as side job or part-time job exceeds 200,000 yen.
  5. If a severance pay has been paid by a foreign company and if there is no income withheld, etc.

Documents required for tax return

  1. Tax return form, download from Website of National Taxation Bureau or You can get it at the tax office.
  2. Documents that can prove income such as withholding slip
  3. My number card or My number notification card + Identification card (residence card, driver’s license etc)
  4. Various certification documents required for deduction
  5. Seal or sign, etc

Subject to deduction

There are many things to be deductible in tax return. Although there are various conditions, for example, if the total of the medical expenses (including the one who filed and dependent family) for one year exceeds 100,000 yen, the excess amount is set as “medical expenses deduction”, it can be deducted from the income amount.

In addition, if a foreign national who works in Japan sends money to support a family living abroad, prepare “relatives documents” and “remittance related documents” to prove the support and the relationship. By doing so, you can receive ‘dependent deduction’. However, if the documents are written in a foreign language, translation into Japanese is required.

In addition, for income generated outside of Japan, although tax payment has been made in foreign countries, those taxable in Japan also have a “Foreign Tax Deduction” that allows you to deduct a fixed amount of taxes from the taxes to be paid in Japan ※Click here for more details (Japanese only)

Besides these, there are various deductions such as “deduction for persons with disabilities” and “social insurance fee deduction”. If you would like to learn more, please consult a tax office or a tax accountant, or consult the National Tax Agency site.

Click here for more details (Japanese only)

Where can I fill the tax return?

You can fill the declaration at the declaration venue. Click here for the tax return filing venue for 2018 (only in Japanese)

At the venue, you can get information on the tax return, consult, and have them tell you how to fill in the forms.

Some people think “I don’t know much about taxes” or “filing taxes seems difficult”, but in order to pay the proper taxes without excess or deficiency, once you know you must file for income tax return and make deduction, please check and consult the experts. If you need to fill the tax return, prepare the necessary documents before the given period.

List of tax offices in each region in Mie prefecture


*Advance reservation is required for consultation at the tax office except for certain period such as  tax return filing period.

*The tax office consultation is available only in Japanese. If you are a foreign resident who can not speak Japanese, please bring someone who can interpret for you.

Foreign residents active in the community towards multicultural symbiosis society


While having various values ​​and cultural backgrounds, there are many people who live as a resident and people who are striving to actively acquire Japanese culture, customs, lifestyle, language, and are active in the community as a member of society.

Among the foreign residents that will be introduced this time, we talked to two people who are from China after Brazil and are actively interacting with local communities.

First, we will interview Sun san who was a graduate student at Mie University and a representative of a Chinese international student group “Gakuyu-kai”, about international exchange and experience participating in activities that are ongoing in the area.

Interview – Sun – Nicchu Gakuyū-kai

A: This year marked the 40th anniversary of the Japan – China Friendship Peace Treaty, we participated in the event called “Chiji to Hanasou”, aiming to communicate with the governor, with the support of the Japan – China Friendship Association, the Mie Prefectural Government Office and our group.

Three Japanese students and three Chinese students of Mie University interacted with the Mie Prefectural Governor and talked about their thoughts on Mie Prefecture. Finally, we students ambassadors, international students and Japanese students proposed to continue peaceful and friendly relations in a youth oriented independent way.

There is also the “Wai Wai Gaya Gaya Festa” held every year in Tsu city. Everyone can show off their own national culture. This year was held on November 11th, there was pop-up booth in the village. We brought out delicious items and art items of our own country. We participate every year. There was also opera and folk dance etc.

In another activity, we have cleaned the beach every year from our school and most of the Chinese international students are participating. After cleaning, we receive fish etc from local fishermen.

Q: What is important for Mie Prefecture to become a more multicultural symbiosis society?

A: I am teaching Chinese at the Japan – China Friendship Association’s foreign language classroom. One of my students will participate in a Chinese speech contest, which is a tournament of speeches spoken in Chinese. The content is about multicultural symbiosis.

One Japanese student heard that a Chinese girl will move into class, but she was not interested at first because she thought that they would not be friends. However, after the transfer student came, they became good friends. The first belief that it would be difficult to get along with a foreigner was not right. The student learned about the importance of wearing a colored glass so as not to see foreigners differently.

If you are building a better diverse society, the main point is to actually listen, watch and experience. It is important to interact with foreigners. By doing so, people in different countries can gain an understanding with each other.

Next, we interviewed Sai who lives in Mie prefecture for 20 years, since she graduated from Mie University. She talked about the local events that she participated so far and about the relationship with the school.

Interview – Mrs. Sai

A: Our children are participating in local children’s associations. All the parents are also in order, planning and participating in activities.

Every year, there are welcome parties for new students, collection of scraps in spring and autumn, family accompanying travel in summer, and bowling competitions are held in winter.

Through the activities, our children had more communication with children of different backgrounds and the relationships deepened. Since parents also have activities, we can also enjoy while the childrens are having a good time. There is a big event in sports competition every year in our area. Our children are actively participating. If they are chosen as players, they do their best and work hard with team members.

And another thing is, there is a system called PTA which the school teacher and parents cooperate with each other. Parents can go to school and participate in school educational activities.

I was lucky to participate in this activity. I also served as a member of the PTA headquarters and joined the activities with other child’s parents. It is a better way to understand the structure of the school, know how your child is doing at school, and have a good exchange with the teacher. So, it was a very good thing for me. I got a good opportunity to blend into society (by participating in PTA).

Q: Do you have opportunities to interact with Japanese people other than kids activities and PTA? Also, how do you interact?

A: I have a lot. I interact with other fellow moms. We go out to dinner together, talk about the situation of the children and talk about the situation of the school. Also, I invite other moms to the house, we make our own special dishes together and interact. It’s very fun.

Then, the relationship with the neighbors is also very good. My neighbors often share the delicious things they made, and I also give them delicious things I made.

We have a music school at home. Besides exchanging music, we hold an annual new year’s party and parties such as cherry-blossom viewing, barbecue every year and enjoying exchanges.

Especially in 2011, we held a charity concert several times after the Great East Japan Earthquake. After that, continuing for about 2 to 3 years, I brought the money earned by the charity concert and the collected donation to the affected areas of Tohoku by myself. We conducted concerts at local temporary houses and public halls. Through this activity, I think that it was very meaningful for us to be able to communicate in a wide range, not the narrow range of the neighborhood where I live.

It is very important for us to realize a multicultural symbiosis society by knowing the difference between each other and the importance of communication by communicating with the local communities. Increasing exchanges within the communities leads to the creation of a climate in which Japanese residents and foreign residents can sympathize with different values ​​and opinions and respect diversity.

Give the people opportunities to actively interact with the locals for people with different backgrounds to build society together as local residents.