Announcement from MieCo, Consultation Center for Foreign Residents in Mie, open from Monday to Friday

みえ外国人相談サポートセンター「MieCo(みえこ)」のお知らせ ~開設日は、月曜日から金曜日です~

2023/10/31 Tuesday Announcements, Culture and Leisure

In Mie Prefecture, there is a consultation center for foreign residents.  If you have a problem in your daily life, consult MieCo. All consultations will be confidencial!  Make an appointment without worry.

Consultation hours

Monday to Friday (closed on Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays and New Year’s holidays, between December 29th and January 3rd)

9am to 5pm

Phone consultations

Call 080-3300-8077.

When the call is connected, say your preferred language.  A translator for that language will speak to you along with the MieCo employee, resulting in a 3-person call.  Depending on the content, a specialized organization will be convened so that your problem can be solved.

MieCo’s consultation desk

You will be served by staff who speak the language of your choice in principle.  If the staff does not speak your language, an interpreter will help over the phone.

Endereço: Tsu-shi Hadokoro-cho 700 UST Tsu 3F

Mie International Exchange Foundation (MIEF) at the Mie Prefectural Exchange Center (Mie Kenmin Kouryu Center)

Train: 1 minute walk from Tsu Station east exit.

Car: Parking is free for up to 30 minutes.  If it exceeds 30 minutes, a fee will be charged.

*Consultations are free (however there is a telephone call fee).

Service languages

English, Portuguese, Spanish, Filipino, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Nepali, Indonesian, Thai and Japanese

Matters that can be consulted

Visa procedures, work, health, well-being, pregnancy, paternity and maternity, education, among other matters.

Matters that cannot be consulted

Translation of documents, translation for commercial purposes and civil cases, face-to-face translation, medical translation, etc.

If you would like to consult with specialists (lawyers, clinical psychologists and Department of Immigration Control officials), click here for more details.

The consultation schedule from April 2023 will be announced in April on Mie Info.

Click here to view the MieCo pamphlet

Click here to view the MieCo Expert Consultation pamphlet

Is it an “electric bike” a bicycle? Or is it a motorcycle?

2023/10/31 Tuesday Announcements, Culture and Leisure


Some bicycles commonly sold as “electric bicycles” (dendo jitensha) or “full electric bicycles” (full dendo jitensha) fall into the category of “pedal-powered motorized bicycles” and are different from steering-assist bicycles (so-called bicycles with motorized assistance – dendo assist jitensha).

A “pedal-powered bicycle” is a vehicle that uses a prime mover with full displacement or rated power as specified in the Road Traffic Law Enforcement Regulations, and that is operated without overhead rails or wires, and that can also be driven by human power using pedals.

Devices that look like bicycles but are powered by electric motors or other motive force without pedaling are members of the “motorcycle” family and are commonly known as “mopeds.”  Even if a person uses only human power to pedal a “moped”, by flipping a switch or other means, he or she is not riding a bicycle but a motorized bicycle or similar vehicle.

As a moped is a motorized bicycle, you can be punished for driving without a license or insurance, so check carefully before using it.

To drive a moped on public roads, you must have the following:

  1. Driver’s license
  2. Helmet
  3. A nameplate
  4. Civil liability insurance
  5. Comply with security standards.

For more information, click here → Mie Road Safety Information

Contact (in Japanese only)

Mieken Kankyo Seikatsubu Kurashi Koutsu Anzen-ka Koutsu Anzen-han (三重県 環境生活部 くらし・交通安全課 交通安全班)

TEL: 059-224-2410