Shindo 0 – Imperceptible to people.
Shindo 1 – Felt slightly by some people keeping quiet in buildings.
Shindo 2 – Felt by many people keeping quiet in buildings.
Shindo 3 – Felt by most people in buildings.
– Most people are startled.
– Hanging objects such as lamps swing significantly.
– Unstable ornaments may fall.
Shindo 5 Lower
– Many people are frightened and feel the need to hold onto something stable.
– Dishes in cupboards and items on bookshelves may fall.
– Unsecured furniture may move, and unstable furniture may topple over.
Shindo 5 Upper
– Many people find it difficult to walk without holding onto something stable
– Dishes in cupboards and items on bookshelves are more likely to fall.
– Unsecured furniture may topple over.
– Unreinforced concrete-block walls may collapse.
Shindo 6 Lower
– It is difficult to remain standing.
– Many unsecured furniture moves and may topple over.
– Doors may become wedged shut.
– Wall tiles and windows may sustain damage and fall.
– In wooden houses with low earthquake resistance, tiles may fall and buildings may lean or collapse.
Shindo 6 Upper
– It is impossible to move without crawling. People may be thrown through the air.
– Most unsecured furniture moves, and is more likely to topple over.
– Wooden houses with low earthquake resistance are more likely to lean or collapse.
– Large cracks may form, and large landslides and massif collapses may be seen.
– Wooden houses with high earthquake resistance may lean in some cases.
– Reinforced-concrete buildings with low earthquake resistance are more likely to collapse
If you feel a tremor
Remain calm, and secure your personal safety
If you see/hear an Earthquake Early Warning
– Protect your head and shelter under a table
– Don’t rush outside
– Don’t worry about turning off the gas in the kitchen
– Panic leads to injury
– When driving a car, turn on your hazard lights, then slow down smoothly
– Keep away from gates, walls, vending machines and buildings
– Leave immediately to highland when a strong shake has been felt on the seashore